“There were times when I could not afford to sacrifice the
bloom of the present moment . . . I grew like corn in the night.”
Henry David Thoreau, Walden
Bloom of the Present Insight Meditation
is a Buddhist community dedicated to bringing greater wisdom and compassion into the world. Mindfulness meditation, talks, classes, and retreats are held throughout Santa Cruz County, CA. Carla Brennan is the Guiding Teacher. We are open to anyone who wishes to study contemplative practices and develop more freedom in their lives. BOTP is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
We welcome, accept and affirm people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities, classes, religions, abilities and ages. We are committed to providing a safe place for all people to explore the dharma and awaken to their true nature. BOTP is a member of Out in Our Faith, an interfaith organization in Santa Cruz that supports LGBTQI people in their spiritual practice.
• Sept. 18-24. “The Dharma and the Drama,” Spirit Rock Meditation Center. Carla will be teaching this retreat with Wes Nisker and Nina Wise. More information
• 5-Week Class. NEW START DATE! Mon. Sept. 25, Felton, “The Truth About the Buddha’s Four Noble Truths.” 7-9 PM. Registration required. More info
• 5-Week Class. Starts Wed. Sept. 27, Santa Cruz, “Mindfulness and Thinking: Awareness without Words.” 6:30 -8:30. Registration required. More info
• 10-Week Class, Starts Fri., Sept. 29 “Finding Joy In Our Crazy, Heart-Breaking World.” Teacher: Carla Brennan. More info
• Sat. Sept. 30, “Exploring Not-Self and Emptiness” Daylong Retreat, Insight Santa Cruz. 9:30am – 4:00pm. More info
• Sat. Nov. 4th. Sangha Celebration! Potluck, music, dancing. More details coming.
• Weekly Thursday Teacher-led Meditation and Dharma Talk: Everyone Welcome! Thurs. 6:30-8:00 PM, Ocean Gate Zen Center, Santa Cruz. More info.
• Monday Night Peer-led Drop-in Groups. July to Mid-September. Everyone welcome. 7:00 – 8:30 PM, The Satellite, Felton. More info.
• Friday Morning Peer-led Drop-in Meditation. Sept. 8, 15, 22. 10:00 – 11:15, Capitola. More info.
• Help the Center for Farmworker Families. More info.
• You can now list Bloom of the Present Insight Meditation as the recipient of Amazon Smile donations! If you register for Amazon Smile and buy anything from Amazon when logged onto Amazon Smile, .05% of your purchased cost will go to Bloom of the Present. Go to: smile.amazon.com