You can read updates and leave messages at Carla’s CaringBridge site:
MESSAGE FROM BLOOM OF THE PRESENT GUIDING CIRCLE – MAY 2018
Dear Bloom of the Present Sangha,
After looking into what were the best options available to her, our dear teacher Carla will undergo surgery at Stanford at noon on Thursday, May 24th. Please light a candle if you can and send her your loving thoughts at this time.
Carla’s sabbatical has been extended through August 2018 and the Guiding Circle is very grateful, thanks to your generosity, to be able to provide her with most of her monthly stipend for another three months.
Meanwhile, Bloom of the Present is still offering Friday morning peer-led meditation and classes in Capitola (contact Bruce Abt at: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Thursday sits and dharma talks at Ocean Gate Zen Center led by G Schultz from 6:30 to 8:00. More information.
You can get updates from Carla at her CaringBridge website (https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/carlabrennan). Or, if you have specific questions, you can email Isabelle Rosenlund, BOTP Guiding Circle Chair, at: email@example.com.
Donations can be sent to:
Holly Thomas, Treasurer
872 30th Ave.
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
Make checks payable to “Bloom of the Present” or “BOTP”.
A Meal Train calendar will be set up to deliver meals to Carla twice a week for a few weeks. Check back on the Bloom of the Present website for that information.
We appreciate all the ways you have expressed your gratitude towards BOTP and Carla through this transitional time and we count on your continued support over the following months. We are looking forward to a time when Carla will be well and we can look at a renewed path for BOTP.
With much gratitude and loving kindness,
Isabelle Rosenlund and the BOTP Guiding Circle
BOTP Guiding Circle February 2018 letter:
Dear Bloom of the Present Sangha Members:
We are writing to inform you that our Guiding Teacher, Carla Brennan, will be taking a three-month health sabbatical starting in March. While there is some uncertainty that we all have to hold patiently, Carla may return to some of her teaching in June. Please join us as we keep Carla in our thoughts and prayers.
During Carla’s absence, Bloom of the Present’s program will be limited as follows:
• Thursday night at Ocean Gate Zen Center, 920 41st Ave., 6:30 – 8:00, led by Gee Schultz;
• Friday morning in Capitola, 10:00 – 11:15 which could continue as a peer-led activity. More info.
• Carla also plans to keep her dates for the Noble Path Program Retreat (Jikoji: June 7 thru 10) and the Sierra Nature-Based Retreat (Origin: July 23 thru 28).
• All Monday and Wednesday classes and other retreat events will be suspended through May.
While your continued financial support is appreciated through this trying time, Bloom of the Present is putting its pledge drive on hold through May. If you are affected by the changes in our programming and have pledged a monthly contribution, you are welcome to suspend your payments through this period; if you have made a lump-sum donation for the year, you may request that some or all of this amount be held from use through this period. Contact Holly Thomas, BOTP Treasurer, at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Regardless of any personal decisions about donations, at the direction of the Guiding Circle, Bloom of the Present will continue to offer Carla her monthly stipend through the sabbatical period. This is just one of the many ways we intend to support Carla, and we encourage you to join us in this effort. This can be done by:
• Making donations through Bloom of the Present earmarked for Carla’s support through her health sabbatical;
• Sending cards and well wishes to Carla at: email@example.com; or 12135 Alba Road, Ben Lomond, CA.
• Organizing sits and discussions at your place of residence, to provide continuity for Sangha members affected by programming changes;
• Include Carla and all BOTP Sangha members in your regular metta practice; and
• Any other way that you are able to help financially or spiritually.
We expect there will be many expressions of concern from sangha members over the coming weeks. In general, we would ask for your patience and that your energy be focused on positive ways in which you can support Carla and maintain the spirit of our Sangha over the coming months. Please contact Isabelle, our BOTP Guiding Circle Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have questions or concerns.
With Loving Kindness,
The BOTP Guiding Circle